You can call a project anything you like if it is generating revenue. It can be a business, a startup or a side-hustle. Depends on the legal structure and number of people working on it.
But there are a lot of projects out there without an identity. Usually backed by a small group of developers and meant to be useful for a niche group of consumers.
The identity is necessary because the development process changes based on this definition. A startup requires market research and user interview before diving into development. But a side-project is built first and analysed later. Here I want to list some points that differentiate a startup from a side project.
What is a Startup ?
- A product or service developed to solve a real problem with an innovative solution.
- A venture with market potential but unclear business model.
- Expected to grow at exponential pace.
What is a SideProject ?
- A product or service being developed to test a new idea, framework or technology.
- Development incentivised by learning potential and fun rather than business opportunity.
If you are a developer and working on a side project, make sure you ignore the steps specific to startups. A lot of startups come from successful side projects. So even if you want to change course, it is better to stick to your strongest suit and test the water your ways.